Thursday, April 14, 2011

A tribute to my mother

 It is now April 14th, a day when just three short years ago that my mother made her journey beyond the stars.  In October 2006 she was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer that eventually spread  througout her body even after chemotherapy and radiation treatments.   

Among many things, my mother taught me the love of books, writing, and music.   
 I will never forget her smile, the warmth of her hand in mine, the humor she shared, her voice as she read a poem or a passage from a book, or when she would sing the songs she loved so much.  I will never forget her hugs, the stories she shared, the laughter, her witty sayings, her great comebacks, her loyalty and dedication, her unconditional love.  

I will never forget the times we argued and then would laugh at what was said.  I will never forget our bookstore visits and book discussions over coffee.  I will never forget her cooking, her garden, her handwriting, her spirituality, her wisdom. I will never ever forget that she instilled in me to always remember who you are and that this isn't all there is.
Violet Marie Fickel
              My mother, my angel, my friend.


6 comments:

Dru said...

That's a lovely tribute to your mother.

Kellie MaRee Fickel said...

Thank you, Dru!

Anonymous said...

Kellie, what a moving tribute. I lost my mother a few years ago, too, and understand the little moments. Having a cup of tea or coffee together. Listening to her laugh. Wanting to share something then absent-mindedly reaching for the phone to tell her.

Cherish the memories; relive them through your words.

Kellie MaRee Fickel said...

Thank you so much, Deb! Oh, I don't know how many times I have reached for the phone even to this day :) My thoughts go out to you on the passing of your mother. Yes, we will cherish the memories. "Cherish the memories; relive them through your words."
THANK YOU!!!

klaus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
klaus said...

btw Kellie...
it's a great website, definitely.
I really like your way of shining the light on reading. Just great.
Klaus